Certified Health Insurance Specialist (CHS™) Designation
The Certified Health Insurance Specialist (CHS) designation was established in 2011 by The Institute for Advanced Financial Education (The Institute™) to raise the bar on professional standards and practice methods of financial advisors in the health insurance sector, and to provide designation holders with expertise in this specialized field.
Advocis is the only education provider for the CHS designation. The CHS is the only health insurance-focused designation in Canada, which strategically positions financial advisors to meet the growing market demand for informed living benefits advice. The CHS designation is conferred exclusively by The Institute, the leading designation body in Canada for financial services practitioners in the specialty areas of Advanced Estate, Wealth Transfer, and Living Benefits. CHS designation holders put clients’ interests first and ensure clients’ financial needs and objectives are fulfilled through the financial planning process.
Who Should Enrol?
- Individuals looking to earn the only health insurance-focused designation in Canada
- Financial services professionals or specialists looking to provide expertise for individuals or group plan sponsors in income replacement, critical illness and long-term care
Requirements for CHS Designation
- CHS candidates must successfully complete both Designation Courses (303, 504) and the Financial Planning Fundamentals for Health Insurance Professionals Program (505)
- Once you have successfully completed all three courses you must complete a CHS Designation Holder’s Agreement form and submit to The Institute in order to hold yourself out as a CHS designation holder
- If you are a CLU designation holder, you are exempt from the Financial Planning Fundamentals for Health Insurance Professionals Program (505) requirement. However, you must register for the Core Courses (303, 504)
Program FAQ and Policies
Prior Learning Exemptions & Equivalencies
You may apply for “Recognition of External Designations” to be exempt from completion requirements for the Financial Planning Fundamentals for Health Insurance Professionals Program if you hold one of the following professional qualifications in good standing: CFP, QAFP, PFP, F.Pl. (Pl.Fin), CPA (or equivalent), CFA. Click for details.
If you have completed courses with an educational institution / organization other than Advocis and you believe they qualify for partial exemption from the Financial Planning Fundamentals for Health Insurance Professionals Program requirements, you may apply for a course exemption. Click for details.
CHS Program Course
Candidates must successfully complete the following courses to earn the CHS Designation.