Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU®) Designation
The Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) designation has been widely recognized for 90 years as a superior mark of excellence in the financial services industry. CLU designation holders are regarded as elite professional financial advisors who raise the bar in developing effective solutions for individuals, business owners, and professionals in the areas of risk management, wealth creation and preservation, estate planning, and wealth transfer.
The CLU designation is conferred in Canada exclusively by The Institute for Advanced Financial Education (“The Institute™”). The Institute is the leading designation body in Canada for financial services practitioners in the specialty areas of Advanced Estate and Wealth Transfer, and Living Benefits.
Upon successful completion of the CLU Designation Program, you must apply to receive the designation. At the time of application you must attest to having completed at least four years of experience within, or related to, the financial services industry. The experience requirement is inclusive of management, staff, academics, writers, candidates and volunteers engaged directly or indirectly within the financial services industry, as well as financial advisors.
Who Should Enrol?
- Individuals looking to earn the highly regarded CLU designation in Canada
- Financial services professionals or specialists looking to help consumers build and preserve wealth through effective wealth creation, estate planning and wealth transfer solutions
Requirements for CLU Designation
- CLU candidates must have first successfully completed the Advocis Core Curriculum Program for CLU® Certification. Candidates must then complete the three CLU Designation Program Modules.
- Once you have successfully completed all required courses you must complete a CLU Designation Holder’s Agreement form and submit to The Institute in order to hold yourself out as a CLU designation holder
Prior Learning Exemptions & Equivalencies
You may apply for “Recognition of External Designations” to be exempt from completion requirements for the Advocis Core Curriculum Program for CLU® Certification if you hold one of the following professional qualifications in good standing: CFP, QAFP, PFP, F.Pl. (Pl.Fin), CPA (or equivalent), CFA. Click for details.
If you have completed courses with an educational institution / organization other than Advocis and you believe they qualify for partial exemption from the Advocis Core Curriculum Program for CLU® Certification requirements, you may apply for a course exemption. Click for details.
Important Details for Transition Candidates (Advocis FP241-244 Courses)
1. If you have successfully completed all four Advocis FP241-244 courses within the last four years, you have met the Advocis Core Curriculum Program for CLU® Certification requirement. Please proceed with registration for the three CLU Designation Program Modules.
2. If you have successfully completed one or more of the Advocis FP241-244 within the last four years, you are required to register for additional modules to meet the Advocis Core Curriculum Program for CLU® Certification requirement.
Advocis Core Curriculum Program for CLU® Certification
Please note: Modules can be taken in any order. However, if you do not have experience with Time Value of Money calculations, Advocis recommends completing Module 912 – Financial Analysis before attempting the following modules: 913, 914, 915, 916, 918, 919, 921.
CLU Designation Program Modules