About the COVID-19 Member Resource Centre
To serve our members and the public interest, Advocis will be continuously updating this Member Resource Centre with the latest resources and developments on COVID-19 from a range of credible sources that may be of value to your practice and clients. Please note that all information should be verified with primary regulatory sources where applicable.
Members in good standing who wish to offer their services as part of the Advocis Connect program are asked to please follow the above link to submit their information. Please note that membership will be validated before you are matched with a small business owner.
Regulatory Affairs & Government Relations
- April 2 - Response from Regulators re: Licensing Renewal and CE Reporting During COVID-19
- March 20 - Advocis / CALU Letter to Federal Finance Officials re: RRIF Withdrawls
Complimentary timeline extensions are being offered to candidates working on the following courses and designations:
- CLU® 255 & 256: 120-day extension
- CHS Financial Planning Foundations for Health Insurance (Full Program): 6-month extension
- CFP® Advocis Core Curriculum Program (Full Program): 6-month extension
- CFP® Advocis Core Curriculum Program (Individual Modules): 120-day extension
- LLQP: 6-month extension (Life and A&S)
- March 25 - Professional Financial Advisor (PFA) Program - Program Begins April 1st, $50 Member Discount Extended until April 15th
- March 20 - From the Desk of Greg Pollock (Members Only - Login Required)
- March 19 - Letter to Members from Board Chair Abe Toews (Members Only - Login Required)
- March 13 - What You Need to Know (Members Only - Login Required)
- Professional Financial Advisor (PFA) Designation Program (Save $50 Until April 15th)
With practice-based training in a real-world environment, the PFA focuses on practice development, technical knowledge and compliance & ethics to help newer advisors get a successful head start while also empowering existing advisors to fine-tune the primary building blocks of their business.
Continuing Education Modules
- Making Choices I (Members Only - Login Required)
- Knowing the Code of Professional Conduct (Members Only - Login Required)
- The Value of Errors and Omissions Insurance (Members Only - Login Required)
The first module in our Making Choices series, which focuses on ethics and professional standards in practice through case scenarios.
Explore the Advocis Code of Professional Conduct by applying it in real-life client situations and understand industry best practices.
A general introduction to the various issues relating to E&O insurance, including when insurance is needed, what protection services are available under an E&O policy, potential sources of claims, how to protect yourself in daily practice, and more.
- From Bad to Worse: Advisor Mistakes in the Claims Process (Login Required)
- Cyber & Privacy Liability (Login Required)
A basic review of the claims management process, with a focus on mistakes that can be avoided by an advisor in the process.
Learn about key regulatory and legislative requirements relating to the collection and storage of personal information, what the rules and laws are regarding how you communicate with the public, the penalties and impact on a business when these rules are breached, and what advisors can do to protect themselves and their client information.
Advocis Member Articles
- Life Interrupted – Advisors Leading Through Traumatic Times - Laurie Martin
Advocis member Laurie Martin provides thoughts and tips for advisors on how to support clients and care for themselves in the midst of world-altering events.
Podcast and Video Resources
- The Impact of COVID-19 on the Economy and Canadians (7 Minutes)
- The Advocis Podcast - Advisor at Risk (30 Minutes)
- The Advocis Podcast - Are you Crisis Ready? (30 Minutes)
- Hoopis Performance Network Video with Dave Resseguie (5 Minutes)
- Hoopis Performance Network Video with Dave Resseguie (4 Minutes)
Steven Shepard, Portfolio Manager for the Global Multi-Asset Team at BMO Asset Management Inc., and Advocis Update 2020 presenter, shares his thoughts on the impact of COVID-19 on the economy and its effect on Canadians. Check out the accompanying article Safeguarding our lives and our livelihoods: The imperative of our time for added context to the video.
Ellen Bessner is a litigation and regulatory defence lawyer, partner at Babin Bessner Spry, LLP and author of two best selling books. In this podcast, Ellen talks about how advisors can protect themselves from reputation and litigation risk.
Laurie Martin and Cindy Marques discuss how advisors can prepare for conversations with your clients when they are experiencing a crisis.
How to stay balanced and positive in your career as an advisor.
Helping advisors to build mental toughness by harnessing their identity.
Key Information for Clients
- Government Program Resource for Small Businesses - Advocis
- Small Business Resources for COVID-19 - CFIB
- Small Business FAQ - CFIB
- Is your business an essential service? - CFIB
- Information on Service Canada's Work-Sharing Program - Grant Thornton LLP
Compliance & Regulatory
Government Benefits & Services
Articles of Interest
- Morneau releases details, price tag for wage subsidy - Advisor's Edge
- Understanding CERB, EI and the feds’ wage subsidy - Advisor's Edge
- Call Your Clients - Ellen Bessner (Investment Executive)
- Preparing for the second phone call - Ellen Bessner (Investment Executive)
- Safeguarding our lives and our livelihoods: The imperative of our time
- All businesses seeing 30% drop in revenue due to pandemic will be eligible for 75% wage subsidies: Trudeau
- Government Assistance Summary - Investment Executive
- Summary of 2019 Tax Changes - Jamie Golombek
- Five Issues Investment Dealers Should Consider - Torys LLP